Re: server hardware recommendations

From: Marc Tardif <admin(at)wtbwts(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: server hardware recommendations
Date: 2000-01-25 22:47:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Yet again, I'd like to bring up this subject from last December. There
seemed to be an important point which was overlooked: scalability.

Being not so knowledgeable on the subject of raid or any array of disks, I
went to the freebsd-scsi and -fs mailing lists to find out about expanding
disk space. Unfortunately, all I could find was that solaris could do it.

Now I'm back to square one, looking for a storage solution for my
postgresql db. More specifically, something scallable and very fast. In my
reading, I found that raid5 could also fail and that a tape backup is
always recommended. Therefore, I would think raid 0 or 1 or 0+1 could do
just fine having a tape backup as fault tolerance. As for a software or
hardware implementation, opinions vary. Marc G. Fournier seems to prefer
the software solution while there are many people preaching the benefits
of hardware raid out there. But the question remains, how can all this be
scallable, ie how can I expand on existing storage space.

Looking forward to your replies,
Marc Tardif