Re: [GENERAL]COPY still running

From: "J(dot) Roeleveld" <j(dot)roeleveld(at)softhome(dot)net>
To: "Arnaud FLORENT" <aflorent(at)iris-tech(dot)fr>
Cc: "PostgreSQL general ML" <pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL]COPY still running
Date: 2000-01-26 10:36:52
Lists: pgsql-general

> I had a similar thing once, while compiling a program, it took the
computer
> 28 hours to complete. (on a P200)
>
> My best guess is is that it's still running, make a quick check that the
> main
> process is still running. The action you are doing requires not just alot
of
> CPU-power, but also a lot of HD-read and writes.

the postmaster is still running and the database grows (it is not very fast
but
it grows and is now 60Mb large......)

glad to hear, it's not crashed... :)

is thare a way to stop the copy command wihtout crashing the database?

It depends, if you issued the command within 'psql' then yes, by pressing
<ctrl>+C
however, this will cause the entire transaction to be reversed, and will
very
likely take the same amount of time, my advise would still be to let this
command to finish normally...

with kind regards,

Joost Roeleveld