Re: [HACKERS] CORBA STATUS

From: Goran Thyni <goran(at)kirra(dot)net>
To: Michael Robinson <robinson(at)netrinsics(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] CORBA STATUS
Date: 1999-11-10 20:47:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Robinson wrote:
> Goran Thyni <goran(at)kirra(dot)net> writes:
> >AFAICS, POA assumes a threaded server while
> >PgSQL uses a traditional forking model.
>
> This is not the case. The POA assumes a nestable, multiplexed call
> interface. The POA server can receive multiple requests from multiple
> clients (or even multiple simultaneous requests from one client), and,
> if single threaded, is allowed to simply queue them and service each
> request in natural order.

OK,
I went on hearsay, got confused by the code.
Thank you for clearifying.

But the issue remains,
if you fork in a connection handler (after accept())
you got two servers competing on both connections.

I outline a model for how CORBA could be implemented
without rewriting the whole server and make it optional
for platforms not supporting CORBA.

Attached below is a first attempt with sketchy pseudo-code.
I hope it is understandable.

regards,
--
Göran Thyni