Re: [HACKERS] CORBA STATUS

From: Michael Robinson <robinson(at)netrinsics(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] CORBA STATUS
Date: 1999-11-10 12:18:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Goran Thyni <goran(at)kirra(dot)net> writes:
>I found that there is a fundamental problem
>concerning the difference in process models
>in pgsql and the POA (Portable Object Adaptor)
>in CORBA implementations.
>
>AFAICS, POA assumes a threaded server while
>PgSQL uses a traditional forking model.

This is not the case. The POA assumes a nestable, multiplexed call
interface. The POA server can receive multiple requests from multiple
clients (or even multiple simultaneous requests from one client), and,
if single threaded, is allowed to simply queue them and service each
request in natural order.

If something bad happens (say, transaction deadlock, or whatever), the
POA server just spits out the appropriate exceptions, and the clients
figure out what to do next.

Speaking of which, exception handling is the one area where CORBA completely
embarrasses the current FE/BE protocol. As PostgreSQL starts climbing
the database value chain, people will probably like to see error handling
that doesn't core-dump clients and backends.

-Michael Robinson

P.S. On the off chance this will get answered the second time around,
is there any particular reason for minx::int4 to be an illegal cast?