Re: small regression adjustment

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: small regression adjustment
Date: 2014-03-26 15:37:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> It occurred to me after having to change I think 9 files to clean up a
> small mess in the jsonb regression tests the other day that we might
> usefully expose the inputdir and outputdir to psql as variables when
> running pg_regress. Then we might be able to do thing like this, quite
> independent of location:

> \set datafile :inputdir/data/mystuff.data
> COPY mytable FROM :'datafile';

If we could get rid of the run-time-generated-test-file facility
altogether, I could get excited about this; but just getting rid of
the COPY special cases isn't enough for that. Looking at
convert_sourcefiles_in, it seems like we'd also need solutions for
these dynamic substitutions:

replace_string(line, "@testtablespace@", testtablespace);
replace_string(line, "@libdir@", dlpath);
replace_string(line, "@DLSUFFIX@", DLSUFFIX);

At least this one seems rather difficult to fix in this fashion:

output/create_function_1.source:83:ERROR: could not find function "nosuchsymbol" in file "@libdir@/regress(at)DLSUFFIX@"

(I'm a bit inclined to think that we could dispense with @DLSUFFIX@
altogether; explicit use of the platform's library suffix has been
deprecated for at least a decade. But the others are harder.)