Re: Very long SQL strings

From: "Steven Flatt" <steven(dot)flatt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Andreas Kretschmer" <akretschmer(at)spamfence(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Very long SQL strings
Date: 2007-06-21 20:09:31
Lists: pgsql-performance

Thanks everyone for your responses. I don't think it's realistic to change
our application infrastructure to use COPY from a stream at this point.
It's good to know that multi-row-VALUES is good up into the thousands of
rows (depending on various things, of course). That's a good enough answer
for what I was looking for and we can revisit this if performance does start
to hurt.

On 6/21/07, Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer(at)spamfence(dot)net> wrote:

> I guess you can obtain the same if you pack all INSERTs into one
> transaction.

Well the 20% gain I referred to was when all individual INSERTs were within
one transaction. When each INSERT does its own commit, it's significantly
slower.

Steve