Re: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option
Date: 2022-02-22 14:31:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote a few more small tests for psql to address uncovered territory
in SendQuery() especially:

- \timing
- client encoding handling
- notifications

What's still missing is:

- \watch
- pagers

For \watch, I think one would need something like the current cancel
test (since you need to get the psql pid to send a signal to stop the
watch). It would work in principle, but it will require more work to
refactor the cancel test.

For pagers, I don't know. I would be pretty easy to write a simple
script that acts as a pass-through pager and check that it is called.
There were some discussions earlier in the thread that some version of
some patch had broken some use of pagers. Does anyone remember details?
Anything worth testing specifically?

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Improve-some-psql-test-code.patch text/plain 3.6 KB
0002-psql-Additional-tests.patch text/plain 1.7 KB