Re: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option
Date: 2022-02-03 13:54:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 29.01.22 15:40, Fabien COELHO wrote:
> With this approach results are not available till the last one has been
> returned? If so, it loses the nice asynchronous property of getting
> results as they come when they come? This might or might not be
> desirable depending on the use case. For "psql", ISTM that we should
> want immediate and asynchronous anyway??

Well, I'm not sure. I'm thinking about this in terms of the dynamic
result sets from stored procedures feature. That is typically used for
small result sets. The interesting feature there is that the result
sets can have different shapes. But of course people can use it
differently. What is your motivation for this feature, and what is your
experience how people would use it?