Re: pg_dump new feature: exporting functions only. Bad or good idea ?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Lætitia Avrot <laetitia(dot)avrot(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ryan Lambert <ryan(at)rustprooflabs(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, ahsan hadi <ahsan(dot)hadi(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump new feature: exporting functions only. Bad or good idea ?
Date: 2022-03-24 23:18:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> writes:
>> On 24 Mar 2022, at 23:38, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu> wrote:
>> It looks like this discussion has reached a bit of an impasse with Tom
>> being against this approach and Michael and Daniel being for it. It
>> doesn't look like it's going to get committed this commitfest, shall
>> we move it forward or mark it returned with feedback?

> Lætitia mentioned the other day off-list that she was going to try and update
> this patch with the pattern support proposed, so hopefully we will hear from
> her shortly on that.

To clarify: I'm not against having an easy way to dump all-and-only
functions. What concerns me is having such a feature that's designed
in isolation, without a plan for anything else. I'd like to create
some sort of road map for future selective-dumping options, and then
we can make sure that this feature fits into the bigger picture.
Otherwise we're going to end up with an accumulation of warts, with
inconsistent naming and syntax, and who knows what other sources of
confusion.