Re: pgsql: Track LLVM 15 changes.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Thomas Munro <tmunro(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-committers <pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Track LLVM 15 changes.
Date: 2022-02-15 18:34:29
Lists: pgsql-committers

Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> This really depends on *their* release cycle, not ours. Hmm. Well,
> if we had a buildfarm animal that ran their latest release branch as
> recently discussed, not their main branch, then we could say "if that
> machine is failing, but seawasp is passing, now is the time to
> back-patch all the 'Track LLVM X' patches; if seawasp is failing, we
> should urgently look into why". I'm willing to set such an animal up,
> but Fabien or Andres may want to... A bit of shell scripting to peek
> at their branches or look for their RC1 tag or something like that
> depending on what we decide is the right trigger point.

Although seawasp isn't actually failing at the moment, it's emitting
a boatload of deprecation warnings, eg

In file included from llvmjit_deform.c:27:
../../../../src/include/jit/llvmjit_emit.h:112:23: warning: 'LLVMBuildStructGEP' is deprecated: Use LLVMBuildStructGEP2 instead to support opaque pointers [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
LLVMValueRef v_ptr = LLVMBuildStructGEP(b, v, idx, "");
^
/home/fabien/clgtk/include/llvm-c/Core.h:3908:1: note: 'LLVMBuildStructGEP' has been explicitly marked deprecated here
LLVM_ATTRIBUTE_C_DEPRECATED(
^

Is that on anyone's radar to clean up?