Re: pgsql: Move scanint8() to numutils.c

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Move scanint8() to numutils.c
Date: 2022-02-15 18:47:26
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 10:39 AM Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com> wrote:
> (moving to hackers)
>
> I guess shame on me for not noticing the thread, but I don't see any
> discussion about the potential for breakage to external projects.
>
> scanint8() is exported, and this change breaks at least two extensions I
> maintain.
>
> A quick scan (no pun intended ;-)) of github shows other potential
> breakage, including at least older (still open source) versions of
> pglogical.

I don't have a particularly strong view on whether the underlying
change was a good idea here, but the breakage you're talking about
seems pretty easy to fix, unless I'm missing something? I think it
would be a bad idea to make such a change in a minor release without
concern for extension breakage, but in a new major release it doesn't
seem like a problem to me.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com