Re: RE: RE: RE: tourble migrating from linux/Apache/postgresql/perl to win2000/IIS/postgresql/perl

From: s0lao(at)netscape(dot)net (S(dot) L(dot))
To: rsharma(at)bigstep(dot)net
Cc: s0lao(at)netscape(dot)net, Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com, pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RE: RE: RE: tourble migrating from linux/Apache/postgresql/perl to win2000/IIS/postgresql/perl
Date: 2001-06-14 06:24:22
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Rishi Sharma <rsharma(at)Bigstep(dot)net> wrote:

> Just wondering if I need to install ODBC?
>
> CGI will not need ODBC correct?

To quote from README in src/interfaces/perl5:

"This has been done by using the Perl5 application programming interface for C extensions which calls the Postgres programmer's interface LIBPQ."

It's nothing mentioned about ODBC, and it shouldn't, as ODBC is also based on LIBPQ.

The bottom line is you don't need ODBC. You need ODBC only for ODBC calls in your applications or for ODBC based applications.

A few hints about your CGI problem:

1. Are you sure you use perl distribution included with cygwin ? (you posted a message where your @INC pointed to some d:/Perl/[...] paths)

2. If you use the ActivePerl distribution I'm quite curious how's that my Pg.dll worked in your perl -w.

3. If your perl is located in d:/Perl/bin/perl.exe, then so should the #! line of your scripts, i.e. #!d:/Perl/bin/perl.exe.

4. If you have 2 versions of perl installed (the ActivePerl and the cygwin one), you should be careful that your scripts get a sane environment for the one they use (as it happened with your PostgreSQL building attempts).

5. I'd recommend that your scripts use only the cygwin version of perl -- with a proper MIME configured (i.e. for .pl files, the server should execute d:/cygwin/usr/local/bin/perl.exe rather than d:/Perl/bin/perl); at least those scripts that use the Pg driver.

SLao