Re: community decision-making & 8.5

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: community decision-making & 8.5
Date: 2009-09-02 21:09:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Previous emails from Tom seem to indicate that the mandate of -core is
> mostly to decide things like the timing of releases. If we gave that
> job to somebody else, would there be anything left for -core to do?
> If so, what? And on the flip side, it is precisely because of the
> lack of a clear statement on release timing from -core that we're
> having these discussions here on -hackers.

The core team sees its scheduling powers as more like this:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-08/msg01803.php
not as determining now what the 8.5 schedule will be.

And yeah, the reason it's a private list has to do with security and
similar problems, not with discussions of long-term project scheduling.
The latter *should* happen on hackers, which is exactly where we're
having it. I think if the -hackers community got deadlocked, core
would try to use its authority to break the deadlock, but I see no
indication that that's needed here.