Re: community decision-making & 8.5

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: community decision-making & 8.5
Date: 2009-09-02 20:28:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Alvaro
Herrera<alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake escribió:
>> On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 12:50 -0700, Selena Deckelmann wrote:

>> > +1 on both points.
>>
>> Isn't "core" supposed to be the release manager?
>
> Core is a decision-making committee.  A release manager is a person,
> maybe two, but a committee doesn't work (unless they'd split up tasks in
> tickets and have them assigned etc, but I don't see -core doing that.)

Previous emails from Tom seem to indicate that the mandate of -core is
mostly to decide things like the timing of releases. If we gave that
job to somebody else, would there be anything left for -core to do?
If so, what? And on the flip side, it is precisely because of the
lack of a clear statement on release timing from -core that we're
having these discussions here on -hackers. Personally, I think that's
better, since -core is a private list (why?) to which most of us don't
have access, and I don't see any reason why decisions like this can't
be made in public.

The only