Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Client-side password encryption

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Client-side password encryption
Date: 2005-12-19 15:00:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Are there any reasons why we shouldn't change the libname with every
> release like for UNIX? I can't think of any, but you never know...

Surely that cure is far worse than the disease. You'd be trading a
might-break risk (app using new function will fail if used with old
library) for a guaranteed-to-break risk (*every* app fails if used
with *any* library version other than what it was built against).

The Unix version of the idea is considerably more flexible than
what would happen on Windows.