Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Client-side password encryption

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Client-side password encryption
Date: 2005-12-19 10:42:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 10:32:03AM -0000, Dave Page wrote:

> > As for Windows DLL hell, I don't know a lot about that, but if that's
> > such a problem, why didn't the original creators of the windows port
> > stick the version number in there from the start. On UNIX, libpq is
> > half versioned (the library is, but not the symbols) so I would have
> > thought copying that idea would have been obvious.
>
> Because we simply didn't think of it at the time, and it's something
> that has irked me ever since.

In that case, I agree. I've always thought a lot of problem in windows
could be solved if they systematically added a version number to every
library (like in UNIX).

Are there any reasons why we shouldn't change the libname with every
release like for UNIX? I can't think of any, but you never know...

Have a nice day,