Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Client-side password encryption

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Client-side password encryption
Date: 2005-12-19 22:36:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org> writes:
>

>>Are there any reasons why we shouldn't change the libname with every
>>release like for UNIX? I can't think of any, but you never know...
>>

>Surely that cure is far worse than the disease. You'd be trading a
>might-break risk (app using new function will fail if used with old
>library) for a guaranteed-to-break risk (*every* app fails if used
>with *any* library version other than what it was built against).
>
>The Unix version of the idea is considerably more flexible than
>what would happen on Windows.

Different from Unix distros, win32 apps will always bring all their
required libraries with them, so it's totally under control of the
developer/packager. There's no such thing as prerequisite packages for
win32 installs, new lib names will *not* break other apps when installed
because older ones stay untouched.

Regards,
Andreas