Re: JIT compiling with LLVM v9.0

From: Pierre Ducroquet <p(dot)psql(at)pinaraf(dot)info>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JIT compiling with LLVM v9.0
Date: 2018-01-25 09:00:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thursday, January 25, 2018 7:38:16 AM CET Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2018-01-24 22:33:30 -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 1:35 PM, Pierre Ducroquet <p(dot)psql(at)pinaraf(dot)info>
wrote:
> > > In LLVM 5.0, it looks like DebugInfo.h is not available in llvm-c, only
> > > as a C ++ API in llvm/IR/DebugInfo.h.
> >
> > The LLVM APIs don't seem to be very stable; won't there just be a
> > continuous stream of similar issues?
>
> There'll be some of that yes. But the entire difference between 5 and
> what will be 6 was not including one header, and not calling one unneded
> function. That doesn't seem like a crazy amount of adaption that needs
> to be done. From a quick look about porting to 4, it'll be a bit, but
> not much more effort.

I don't know when this would be released, but the minimal supported LLVM
version will have a strong influence on the availability of that feature. If
today this JIT compiling was released with only LLVM 5/6 support, it would be
unusable for most Debian users (llvm-5 is only available in sid). Even llvm 4
is not available in latest stable.
I'm already trying to build with llvm-4 and I'm going to try further with llvm
3.9 (Debian Stretch doesn't have a more recent than this one, and I won't have
something better to play with my data), I'll keep you informed. For sport, I
may also try llvm 3.5 (for Debian Jessie).

Pierre