Re: JIT compiling with LLVM v9.0

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Pierre Ducroquet <p(dot)psql(at)pinaraf(dot)info>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JIT compiling with LLVM v9.0
Date: 2018-01-25 06:38:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2018-01-24 22:33:30 -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 1:35 PM, Pierre Ducroquet <p(dot)psql(at)pinaraf(dot)info> wrote:
> > In LLVM 5.0, it looks like DebugInfo.h is not available in llvm-c, only as a C
> > ++ API in llvm/IR/DebugInfo.h.
>
> The LLVM APIs don't seem to be very stable; won't there just be a
> continuous stream of similar issues?

There'll be some of that yes. But the entire difference between 5 and
what will be 6 was not including one header, and not calling one unneded
function. That doesn't seem like a crazy amount of adaption that needs
to be done. From a quick look about porting to 4, it'll be a bit, but
not much more effort.

The reason I'm using the C-API where possible is that it's largely
forward compatible (i.e. new features added, but seldomly things are
removed). The C++ code changes a bit more, but it's not that much code
we're interfacing with either.

I think we'll have to make do with a number of ifdefs - I don't really
see an alternative. Unless you've a better idea?

Greetings,

Andres Freund