Re: splitting *_desc routines

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: splitting *_desc routines
Date: 2012-11-23 23:45:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> So incorporating these ideas, the layout now looks like this:

> ./commands/seq_desc.c
> ./commands/dbase_desc.c
> ./commands/tablespace_desc.c
> ./catalog/storage_desc.c
> ./utils/cache/relmap_desc.c
> ./access/rmgrdesc/mxact_desc.c
> ./access/rmgrdesc/spgdesc.c
> ./access/rmgrdesc/xact_desc.c
> ./access/rmgrdesc/heapdesc.c
> ./access/rmgrdesc/tupdesc.c
> ./access/rmgrdesc/xlog_desc.c
> ./access/rmgrdesc/gistdesc.c
> ./access/rmgrdesc/clog_desc.c
> ./access/rmgrdesc/hashdesc.c
> ./access/rmgrdesc/gindesc.c
> ./access/rmgrdesc/nbtdesc.c
> ./storage/ipc/standby_desc.c

FWIW, I'd vote for dumping all of these into *one* rmgrdesc directory
(which may as well be under access/ since that's where the xlog code is),
regardless of where the corresponding replay code is in the source tree.
I don't think splitting them up into half a dozen directories adds
anything except confusion. If you want, the header comment for each
file could mention where the corresponding replay code lives.