Re: Re: Too many open files (was Re: spinlock problems reported earlier)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Too many open files (was Re: spinlock problems reported earlier)
Date: 2000-12-23 23:12:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane writes:
>> I'm not sure why this didn't get dealt with, but I think it's a "must
>> fix" kind of problem for 7.1. The dbadmin has *got* to be able to
>> limit Postgres' appetite for open file descriptors.

> Use ulimit.

Even if ulimit exists and is able to control that parameter on a given
platform (highly unportable assumptions), it's not really a workable
answer. fd.c has to stop short of using up all of the actual nfile
limit, or else stuff like the dynamic loader is likely to fail.

> I think this is an unreasonable interference with the customary operating
> system interfaces (e.g., ulimit). The last thing I want to hear is
> "Postgres is slow and it only opens 100 files per process even though I
> <did something> to allow 32 million."

(1) A dbadmin who hasn't read the run-time configuration doc page (that
you did such a nice job with) is going to have lots of performance
issues besides this one.

(2) The last thing *I* want to hear is stories of a default Postgres
installation causing system-wide instability. But if we don't insert
an open-files limit that's tighter than the "customary operating system
limit", that's exactly the situation we have, at least on several
popular platforms.