Re: Re: Too many open files (was Re: spinlock problems reported earlier)

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Too many open files (was Re: spinlock problems reported earlier)
Date: 2000-12-24 00:05:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> (1) A dbadmin who hasn't read the run-time configuration doc page (that
> you did such a nice job with) is going to have lots of performance
> issues besides this one.
>
> (2) The last thing *I* want to hear is stories of a default Postgres
> installation causing system-wide instability. But if we don't insert
> an open-files limit that's tighter than the "customary operating system
> limit", that's exactly the situation we have, at least on several
> popular platforms.

IMHO, let's remember we keep a cache of file descriptors open for
performance. How many file do we really need open in the cache? I can't
imagine any performance reason to have hundreds of open file descriptors
cached. A file open is not that big a deal.

Just because the OS says we can open 1000 files doesn't mean we should
open them just to keep a nice cache.

We are keeping them open just for performance reasons, not because we
actually need them to get work done.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us