Re: Build problem with CVS version

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: John Summerfield <summer(at)os2(dot)ami(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Build problem with CVS version
Date: 2001-09-04 14:51:22
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

> This is a very valid concern, and it's been bugging us, too. The problem
> is that by default, the majority of users would probably want the Perl and
> Python modules to be put in the default place where they're easy to find
> for the interpreter. (This is pure speculation. Personally, I certainly
> wouldn't do this, in the same way as I don't install libraries in /usr/lib
> because it makes it easier for the linker to find.)

I agree that that's the right place to put the perl & python modules
when doing a pure-default configure: it's reasonable to assume we are
installing a production system, and so we should install these modules
in the default places. But it's a lot harder to make that argument when
doing a configure with a non-default --prefix: we may well be building a
playpen installation. In any case there should be a way to suppress
automatic installation of these modules.

> What we probably want is some configure switch that switches between the
> current behaviour and the behaviour you want.

I'd suggest --prefix-like options to determine installation locations
for the perl and python modules, plus options on the order of
--no-install-perl (ie, build it, but don't install it).