Re: Build problem with CVS version

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: John Summerfield <summer(at)os2(dot)ami(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Build problem with CVS version
Date: 2001-09-04 12:58:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

John Summerfield writes:

> To my dismay some components don't honour the "--prefix=/tmp/postgresql"
> specification and try to install in some other location.
>
> I'd much prefer for the perl and python components to install into the
> location I specified, and to leave me to discuss with Perl and Python
> the question of how to make sure I get the right versions (or even
> better, offer a handy hint).

This is a very valid concern, and it's been bugging us, too. The problem
is that by default, the majority of users would probably want the Perl and
Python modules to be put in the default place where they're easy to find
for the interpreter. (This is pure speculation. Personally, I certainly
wouldn't do this, in the same way as I don't install libraries in /usr/lib
because it makes it easier for the linker to find.)

What we probably want is some configure switch that switches between the
current behaviour and the behaviour you want.

Incidentally, some work toward this goal has already been done in the CVS
tip. Basically, all I was missing is a good name for the option.

For you to proceed you could try the following (completely untested):

# for local Python install
make install python_moduledir='$(pkglibdir)' python_moduleexecdir='$(pkglibdir)'
# (yes, single quotes)

# for local Perl install
make install mysterious_feature=yes
# (seriously)