Re: Bug #436: backend closed the channel unexpectedly

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: ma(at)netresearch(dot)de, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug #436: backend closed the channel unexpectedly
Date: 2001-09-04 14:57:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs

pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org writes:
> Using Postgresql 7.1.3 on Redhat 7.1 and 6.2, currently we have 2
> projects running. a few days the databases do work perfectly - then we
> get error message following.

> Warning: PostgreSQL query failed: FATAL 1: This connection has been
> terminated by the administrator.

This message indicates that the backend got a SIGTERM signal from
someplace. If the postmaster got a SIGINT signal it would turn around
and SIGTERM all the backends, but there's no other mechanism in Postgres
that would cause this to happen.

Is the postmaster still alive after the backends shut down, or does it
quit too? What shows up in the postmaster's stderr log? (If you're
sending stderr to /dev/null, now is a good time to stop doing so.)