Re: Extensions vs PGXS' MODULE_PATHNAME handling

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extensions vs PGXS' MODULE_PATHNAME handling
Date: 2011-02-12 21:55:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr> writes:
>> pgxs.mk will substitute for MODULE_PATHNAME in it is
>> "$libdir/hstore-1.0" ... not exactly what's wanted. This is because the
>> transformation rule depends on $*, ie the base name of the input file.

> A though that is occurring to me here would be to add a shlib property
> in the control file and have the SQL script use $libdir/$shlib, or even
> $shlib maybe. That would only work for extensions scripts, and even
> only for those containing a single .so.

Right, the basic difficulty here is exactly that in a Makefile that's
building multiple shlibs, there is no easy way to decide which shlibs go
with which sql scripts. The existing implementation essentially relies
on the base name of the sql script matching the base name of the shlib.
Adding a single-valued shlib property wouldn't improve matters at all.