Re: Extensions vs PGXS' MODULE_PATHNAME handling

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extensions vs PGXS' MODULE_PATHNAME handling
Date: 2011-02-12 17:34:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> pgxs.mk will substitute for MODULE_PATHNAME in it is
> "$libdir/hstore-1.0" ... not exactly what's wanted. This is because the
> transformation rule depends on $*, ie the base name of the input file.
[...]
> On balance #3 seems the least bad, but I wonder if anyone sees this
> choice differently or has another solution that I didn't think of.

A though that is occurring to me here would be to add a shlib property
in the control file and have the SQL script use $libdir/$shlib, or even
$shlib maybe. That would only work for extensions scripts, and even
only for those containing a single .so.

But the only counter example I know of is PGQ, and its install script is
ran by its command line tools. So PGQ would now ship 2 or 3 extensions
with some dependencies, each with its own .so. Seems cleaner for me
anyway.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine