Re: Remove useless associativity/precedence from parsers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Akim Demaille <akim(at)lrde(dot)epita(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Remove useless associativity/precedence from parsers
Date: 2019-05-20 13:54:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Akim Demaille <akim(at)lrde(dot)epita(dot)fr> writes:
> It is for the same reasons that I would recommend not using associativity directives (%left, %right, %nonassoc) where associativity plays no role: %precedence is made for this. But it was introduced in Bison 2.7.1 (2013-04-15), and I don't know if requiring it is acceptable to PostgreSQL.

2013? Certainly not. We have a lot of buildfarm critters running
older platforms than that. I believe our (documented and tested)
minimum version of Bison is still 1.875. While we'd be willing
to move that goalpost if there were clear benefits from doing so,
I'm not even convinced that %precedence as you describe it here
is any improvement at all.