Re: Support custom socket directory in pg_upgrade

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Support custom socket directory in pg_upgrade
Date: 2018-11-23 14:45:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 12/11/2018 20:00, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Also, even if we had an arguably-better idea, I suspect that there would
>>> always be cases where it didn't work.

> Surely they can just set TMPDIR if /tmp is not writable? If TMPDIR is
> set and not writable, bark at the user for it.

(1) There was nothing about TMPDIR in Peter's proposal, nor would an
implementation based on mkdtemp(3) automatically do that for us.

(2) If you accept the proposition that we must provide a user knob of
some sort, why shouldn't it be a command line switch rather than an
environment variable? The former are much easier to document and to
discover.