From: Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: row filtering for logical replication
Date: 2018-11-23 14:40:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 23/11/2018 03:02, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> * Euler Taveira (euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br) wrote:
>>> Good idea. I haven't read this yet, but one thing to make sure you've
>>> handled is limiting the clause to referencing only the current tuple and the
>>> catalogs. user-catalog tables are OK, too, anything that is
>>> RelationIsAccessibleInLogicalDecoding().
>>>
>>> This means only immutable functions may be invoked, since a stable or
>>> volatile function might attempt to access a table. And views must be
>>> prohibited or recursively checked. (We have tree walkers that would help
>>> with this).
>>>
>>> It might be worth looking at the current logic for CHECK expressions, since
>>> the requirements are similar. In my opinion you could safely not bother with
>>> allowing access to user catalog tables in the filter expressions and limit
>>> them strictly to immutable functions and the tuple its self.
>>
>> IIRC implementation is similar to RLS expressions. I'll check all of
>> these rules.
>
> Given the similarity to RLS and the nearby discussion about allowing
> non-superusers to create subscriptions, and probably publications later,
> I wonder if we shouldn't be somehow associating this with RLS policies
> instead of having the publication filtering be entirely independent..

I do see the appeal here, if you consider logical replication to be a
streaming select it probably applies well.

But given that this is happening inside output plugin which does not
have full executor setup and has catalog-only snapshot I am not sure how
feasible it is to try to merge these two things. As per my previous
email it's possible that we'll have to be stricter about what we allow
in expressions here.

The other issue with merging this is that the use-case for filtering out
the data in logical replication is not necessarily about security, but
often about sending only relevant data. So it makes sense to have filter
on publication without RLS enabled on table and if we'd force that, we'd
limit usefulness of this feature.

We definitely want to eventually create subscriptions as non-superuser
but that has zero effect on this as everything here is happening on
different server than where subscription lives (we already allow
creation of publications with just CREATE privilege on database and
ownership of the table).