Re: pgsql: Support "postgres -C" with runtime-computed GUCs

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Support "postgres -C" with runtime-computed GUCs
Date: 2021-09-17 19:18:38
Lists: pgsql-committers

On 9/16/21 8:44 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 08:08:44AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> I am not completely sure what's going on here yet, so I'll just switch
>> the test to be skipped when Msys is involved for now. That should be
>> enough to bring back those machines to green.
> So, after drinking down a coffee, I have remembered the difference
> between the Msys and native perls when it comes to IPC::Run:
> - Msys perl generates \r\n.
> - Native perl generates \n.
>
> We have already a couple of places where we filter that out, like
> PostgresNode::psql or slurp_file. But we are missing some spots
> before calling like() for outputs generated by IPC::Run. I have
> tracked all those places with the attached, and I think that this
> should take care of the failure seen here while preventing future
> problems.
>
> Any thoughts?

The fixups for command_checks_all should go before the loops, not inside
them.

I would probably add a single line like this just after the call that
checks the status:

   foreach ($stderr, $stdout) { s/\r\n/\n/g if $Config{osname} eq 'msys'; }

although maybe perltidy would reformat that.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan