Re: pg_receivewal starting position

From: Ronan Dunklau <ronan(dot)dunklau(at)aiven(dot)io>
To: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pg_receivewal starting position
Date: 2021-10-26 09:01:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Le mardi 26 octobre 2021, 08:27:47 CEST Ronan Dunklau a écrit :
> Yes, I will try to simplify the logic of the patch I sent last week. I'll
> keep you posted here soon.

I was able to simplify it quite a bit, by using only one standby for both test
scenarios.

This test case verify that after a timeline switch, if we resume from a
previous state we will archive:
- segments from the old timeline
- segments from the new timeline
- the timeline history file itself.

I chose to check against a full segment from the previous timeline, but it
would have been possible to check that the latest timeline segment was
partial. I chose not not, in the unlikely event we promote at an exact segment
boundary. I don't think it matters much, since partial wal files are already
covered by other tests.

--
Ronan Dunklau

Attachment Content-Type Size
v13-0001-Add-a-test-for-pg_receivewal-following-timeline-.patch text/x-patch 4.9 KB