Re: ./configure argument checking

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ./configure argument checking
Date: 2006-10-12 23:26:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>> IIRC it was made a non-fatal warning somewhere near the end of the
>> output, but I'm not sure...

> It spits out this line just before it creates its output files:
> *** Option ignored: --with-lkjasdf

Of course, since it spits out pages and pages of normally-useless trivia,
we've all become conditioned to ignore configure's output as long as it
doesn't actually fail :-(

Not sure what to do about that --- I doubt that raising this warning to
error would be a good idea, seeing how firmly the upstream developers
believe it shouldn't even be a warning. Is there any sort of "quiet
mode" possible that would report only warnings? Would it be a good idea
if it were possible?