Re: Tips on committing

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Pg Committers <pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tips on committing
Date: 2018-07-23 03:58:58
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> writes:
> I agree we won't all want the exact same checklist. Still, it wouldn't hurt
> to have a wiki page of checklist entry ideas from which folks cherry-pick the
> entries they like.

013f320dc reminds me of something I check for religiously: look for
alternative output files for any regression test you're updating the
output of.

Actually updating said files, once you notice you need to, can be tricky
in itself. Most of the time it works to just apply the same patch to the
other variants as the delta you're observing for the output file that's
relevant to your own platform. Or you may be able to change configuration
so as to replicate the correct output for another alternative file. But
sometimes you just have to guess (and then watch the buildfarm to see if
you guessed right).