Re: Tips on committing

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Pg Committers <pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tips on committing
Date: 2018-07-11 04:14:04
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 10:52:42AM -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 9:52 AM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> >> FWIW, I developed a document on committing for my own reference, with
> >> some help from Andres.

My rule has been to add to my private checklist anytime I mail or push a patch
containing a readily-checkable mistake. I go through the checklist before
mailing or pushing any patch. It has things in common with your list, plus
these:

* Validate err*() calls against https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/error-style-guide.html
* Validate *printf calls for trailing newlines

* Spellcheck the patch

* Verify long lines are not better broken
git diff origin/master | grep -E '^(\+|diff)' | sed 's/^+//' | expand -t4 | awk "length > 78 || /^diff/"

* Run pgindent on changed files; keep the changes I made necessary

* Update version numbers, if needed
CATALOG_VERSION_NO, PG_CONTROL_VERSION, XLOG_PAGE_MAGIC, PGSTAT_FILE_FORMAT_ID

* Write log message
Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/
Back-patch depth?
What should the release notes say?
Credit any reviewer.

* Check merge with master (not applicable to commits)

> > How about turning it into a wiki page, for everybody's benefit?
>
> I'll try to do that, but I'd still recommend personalizing it. A lot
> of the stuff in there is specific to my own workflow and tool
> preferences, and my own personal working style.

I agree we won't all want the exact same checklist. Still, it wouldn't hurt
to have a wiki page of checklist entry ideas from which folks cherry-pick the
entries they like.