Re: MacOS: xsltproc fails with "warning: failed to load external entity"

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: MacOS: xsltproc fails with "warning: failed to load external entity"
Date: 2023-02-01 17:49:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2023-02-01 12:23:27 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On 2023-02-01 13:05:32 +0300, Aleksander Alekseev wrote:
> >> It works. Perhaps we should add:
> >> ninja -C build alldocs
>
> > FWIW, just 'docs' would build just the multi-page html/man pages,
> > alldocs takes a lot longer...
>
> Hmm ... why does 'docs' include the man pages, and not just the html?

I think it's because the makefile is doing things a bit oddly, and I
didn't quite grok that in the right moment.

I probably just saw:
all: html man

but before that there's

# Make "html" the default target, since that is what most people tend
# to want to use.
html:

> It's unlike what "make -C doc/src/sgml all" does in the Makefile
> system, and I don't find it to be an improvement.

Well, that'd actually build the manpages too, afaics :). But I get the
point.

I really have no opinion on what we should should build under what
name. Happy to change what's included in 'docs', add additional targets,
etc.

> I want the man pages approximately never, so I don't care to wait
> around for them to be built.
>
> While I'm bitching ... section 17.1 doesn't mention that you need
> ninja to use meson, much less mention the minimum version.

Peter rewrote the requirements (almost?) entirely while committing the
docs from Samay and hasn't responded to my concerns about the new
form...

Normally the ninja version that's pulled in by meson should suffice. I
suspect that the problem you found can be worked around.

> And the minimum version appears to be newer than RHEL8's 1.8.2, which
> I find pretty unfortunate. On RHEL8, it fails with
> $ ninja
> ninja: error: build.ninja:6771: multiple outputs aren't (yet?) supported by depslog; bring this up on the mailing list if it affects you

What's in that line +- 2 lines? And/or what are the steps that got you
to that point?

I'll try building 1.8.2 and reproing.

> I did manage to test this stuff on bleeding-edge Fedora,
> but ...

Yea, I worked a fair bit to avoid requiring a too new version, I'll try
to figure out what went wrong. I did built on rhel8 not long ago, so I
suspect it's a corner case somewhere.

Greetings,

Andres Freund