Re: MacOS: xsltproc fails with "warning: failed to load external entity"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: MacOS: xsltproc fails with "warning: failed to load external entity"
Date: 2023-02-01 17:23:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2023-02-01 13:05:32 +0300, Aleksander Alekseev wrote:
>> It works. Perhaps we should add:
>> ninja -C build alldocs

> FWIW, just 'docs' would build just the multi-page html/man pages,
> alldocs takes a lot longer...

Hmm ... why does 'docs' include the man pages, and not just the html?
It's unlike what "make -C doc/src/sgml all" does in the Makefile
system, and I don't find it to be an improvement. I want the man
pages approximately never, so I don't care to wait around for them
to be built.

While I'm bitching ... section 17.1 doesn't mention that you need
ninja to use meson, much less mention the minimum version. And
the minimum version appears to be newer than RHEL8's 1.8.2,
which I find pretty unfortunate. On RHEL8, it fails with

$ ninja
ninja: error: build.ninja:6771: multiple outputs aren't (yet?) supported by depslog; bring this up on the mailing list if it affects you

I did manage to test this stuff on bleeding-edge Fedora,
but ...