Re: Show various offset arrays for heap WAL records

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Show various offset arrays for heap WAL records
Date: 2023-02-01 17:47:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 1, 2023 at 5:20 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> If we're dumping a lot of details out of each WAL record, we might
> want to switch to a multi-line format of some kind. No one enjoys a
> 460-character wide line, let alone 46000.

I generally prefer it when I can use psql without using expanded table
format mode, and without having to use a pager. Of course that isn't
always possible, but it often is. I just don't think that that's going
to become feasible with pg_walinspect queries any time soon, since it
really requires a comprehensive strategy to deal with the issue of
verbosity.

It seems practically mandatory to use a pager when running
pg_walinspect queries in psql right now -- pspg is good for this. I
really can't use expanded table mode here, since it obscures the
relationship between adjoining records. I'm usually looking through
rows/records in LSN order, and want to be able to easily compare the
LSNs (or other details) of groups of adjoining records.

--
Peter Geoghegan