Re: fixing CREATEROLE

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, walther(at)technowledgy(dot)de, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: fixing CREATEROLE
Date: 2022-12-22 14:13:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Reading 0001:

+ However, <literal>CREATEROLE</literal> does not convey the ability to
+ create <literal>SUPERUSER</literal> roles, nor does it convey any
+ power over <literal>SUPERUSER</literal> roles that already exist.
+ Furthermore, <literal>CREATEROLE</literal> does not convey the power
+ to create <literal>REPLICATION</literal> users, nor the ability to
+ grant or revoke the <literal>REPLICATION</literal> privilege, nor the
+ ability to the role properties of such users.

"... nor the ability to the role properties ..."
I think a verb is missing here.

The contents looks good to me other than that problem, and I agree to
backpatch it.

Why did you choose to use two dots for ellipses in some command
<literal>s rather than three? I know I've made that choice too on
occassion, but there aren't many such cases and maybe we should put a
stop to it (or a period) before it spreads too much.

--
Álvaro Herrera 48°01'N 7°57'E — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/