Re: kerberos/001_auth test fails on arm CPU darwin

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: kerberos/001_auth test fails on arm CPU darwin
Date: 2022-09-27 01:37:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-09-27 10:25:07 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 04:39:36PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >> I think this also needs to account for MacPorts, which would likely
> >> put it under /opt/local/sbin. (I wonder where /usr/local/opt/krb5
> >> came from at all -- that sounds like somebody's manual installation
> >> rather than a packaged one.)
> >
> > /usr/local/opt/ is used by Homebrew on Intel macOS.
>
> Hmm. Is that the case with new setups under x86_64? I have a M1
> where everything goes through /opt/homebrew/, though it has been set
> very recently.

Yes, it's hardware dependent:

https://docs.brew.sh/Installation
"This script installs Homebrew to its preferred prefix (/usr/local for macOS
Intel, /opt/homebrew for Apple Silicon and /home/linuxbrew/.linuxbrew for
Linux"

Maybe we should rely on PATH, rather than hardcoding OS dependent locations?
Or at least fall back to seach binaries in PATH? Seems pretty odd to hardcode
all these locations without a way to influence it from outside the test.

There has to be something similar to python's shutil.which() in perl.

Greetings,

Andres Freund