Re: Commitfest manager for 2022-03

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Commitfest manager for 2022-03
Date: 2022-02-27 00:37:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Can I suggest to update the CF APP to allow:
| Target version: 16

I also suggest to update patches to indicate which are (not) being considered
for v15.

A few specific ones from myself:

|https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/2573/
|pg_dump - read data for some options from external file Ready for Committer 15
Marked RFC by Daniel Gustafsson since 2021-10-01.
Is it more likely than not to be included in v15, or should the "v15" be
removed ?

|https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/3499/
|libpq compression Waiting on Author 15
I re-raised the same concerns made ~12 months ago but haven't heard back.
WOA since 35 days. Unlikely to be considered/included in v15.

|https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/3571/
|Add LZ4 compression in pg_dump Needs review
This patch was just submitted on 2022-02-25.
I did a lot of the same things this patch does for a previous patch submission
(32/2888) for pg_dump/ZSTD, so I could review this, if there were interest to
include it in v15.

|https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/2349/
|Global temporary table Needs review 15
The handling/hijacking of pg_class and pg_statistic is not likely to be
acceptable. I doubt this will be progressed for v15.

|https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/3448/
|reduce impact of lengthy startup and checkpoint tasks Needs review 15
I think this is in the design/concept phase, and not likely for v15, except
maybe in reduced scope.

|https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/2906/
|Row filtering for logical replication
If I'm not wrong, this is merged and should be closed?

For my own patches, it'd be helpful if someone would suggest if any are (not)
likely to be progressed for v15.

These are marked RFC, but have no "committer" set. Are they all targetting
v15?

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/2863/
Function to log backtrace of postgres processes Ready for Committer
Should target v15 ?

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/2897/
Faster pglz compression Ready for Committer 15
Tomas, are you still planning to merge this one ?

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/2992/
Allow batched insert during cross-partition updates Ready for Committer

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/3073/
Add callback table access method to reset filenode when dropping relation Ready for Committer

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/3384/
use has_privs_for_role for predefined roles Ready for Committer 15

Do all of the RFC patches target v15 (except bugfixes) ?
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/?status=3

These are not marked as targetting any version .. are any of them
being considered for v15 ?

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/2903/
Parallel Hash Full Join Needs review

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/3508/
Avoid smgrimmedsync() during index build and add unbuffered IO API Needs review

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/3182/
automatically generating node support functions Needs review

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/3183/
Detectable crashes and unlogged table resets Needs review Jeff Davis (jdavis)

These are set as "targetting v15", but have no committer set. If someone
thinks it's unrealistic they'll be included in v15, I suggest to update not to
say so.

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/3272/
Add system view tracking shared buffer actions Needs review 15

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/3224/
Fix ExecRTCheckPerms() inefficiency with many prunable partitions Needs review 15

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/3270/
Cache tuple routing info during bulk loads into partitioned tables Needs review 15

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/3461/
In-place persistence change of a relation (fast ALTER TABLE ... SET LOGGED with wal_level=minimal) Needs review 15

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/3539/
Allow parallel plan for referential integrity checks Needs review 15

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/3397/
Prefetching in recovery, take II Needs review 15 Thomas Munro (macdice)

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/2482/
jsonpath syntax extensions Needs review 15

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/2901/
SQL/JSON: functions Needs review 15

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/2902/
SQL/JSON: JSON_TABLE Needs review 15

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/3099/
Asymmetric partition-wise JOIN Needs review 15

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/3293/
Tags in errordata Needs review 15

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/3358/
Update relfrozenxmin when truncating temp tables Needs review 15 Greg Stark (stark)

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/3490/
Pluggable toaster Needs review 15

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/3500/
Collecting statistics about contents of JSONB columns Needs review 15 Tomas Vondra (fuzzycz),

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/2138/
Incremental Materialized View Maintenance Needs review 15

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/3565/
Add relation and block-level filtering to pg_waldump Needs review 15 David Christensen (dwc-pgguru)

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/3436/
remove exclusive backup mode Needs review 15 David Steele (dsteele)

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/37/3457/
pg_stat_toast Needs review 15