Re: Replace uses of deprecated Python module distutils.sysconfig

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Replace uses of deprecated Python module distutils.sysconfig
Date: 2022-01-24 03:49:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-01-23 18:53:01 -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> I don't really understand what the various "platform" variables / paths are
> supposed to do.

The code says:

> def get_python_inc(plat_specific=0, prefix=None):
> """Return the directory containing installed Python header files.
>
> If 'plat_specific' is false (the default), this is the path to the
> non-platform-specific header files, i.e. Python.h and so on;
> otherwise, this is the path to platform-specific header files
> (namely pyconfig.h).

Looking at the code for get_python_inc() in 2.7, it seems that plat_specific
toggles between CONFINCLUDEPY and INCLUDEPY. Except on windows, where it uses
get_path('include') for both. sysconfig.py sets INCLUDEPY to
get_path('include') on windows, so we'd be good with INCLUDEPY there.

> To avoid too noisy breakages, we could have python.m4 emit INCLUDEPY and then
> search the bf logs in a day or three?

Maybe something like the attached? Not particularly nice, but should give us
most of the relevant information?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Attachment Content-Type Size