Re: Triage on old commitfest entries

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Triage on old commitfest entries
Date: 2021-10-05 02:29:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greetings,

* Peter Geoghegan (pg(at)bowt(dot)ie) wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 1:30 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > Fair. My concern here is mostly that we not just keep kicking the
> > can down the road. If we see that a patch has been hanging around
> > this long without reaching commit, we should either kill it or
> > form a specific plan for how to advance it.
>
> Also fair.
>
> The pandemic has made the kind of coordination I refer to harder in
> practice. It's the kind of thing that face to face communication
> really helps with.

Entirely agree with this. Index skip scan is actually *ridiculously*
useful in terms of an improvement, and we need to get the right people
together to work on it and get it implemented. I'd love to see this
done for v15, in particular. Who do we need to coordinate getting
together to make it happen? I doubt that I'm alone in wanting to make
this happen and I'd be pretty surprised if we weren't able to bring the
right folks together this fall to make it a reality.

Thanks,

Stephen