Re: What are exactly bootstrap processes, auxiliary processes, standalone backends, normal backends(user sessions)?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What are exactly bootstrap processes, auxiliary processes, standalone backends, normal backends(user sessions)?
Date: 2021-09-07 00:18:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021-Aug-14, Justin Pryzby wrote:

> I elaborated on your definition and added here.

Thanks! This works for me. After looking at it, it seemed to me that
listing the autovacuum launcher is perfectly adapted, so we might as
well do it; and add verbiage about it to the autovacuum entry. (I was
first adding a whole new glossary entry for it, but it seemed overkill.)

I also ended up adding an entry for WAL sender -- seems to round things
nicely.

... In doing so I noticed that the definition for startup process and
WAL receiver is slightly wrong. WAL receiver only receives, it doesn't
replay; it is always the startup process the one that replays. So I
changed that too.

What do you think?

PS: I almost want to add a note to the startup process entry, something
like "(The name is historical: it refers to its task before the
introduction of replication, when it was only related to the server
starting up after a crash.)"

PPS: Do we want the list to be in alphabetical order, or some other
order?

--
Álvaro Herrera 39°49'30"S 73°17'W — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Tiene valor aquel que admite que es un cobarde" (Fernandel)

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-glossary-definitions-for-auxiliary-processes.patch text/x-diff 5.9 KB