Re: What are exactly bootstrap processes, auxiliary processes, standalone backends, normal backends(user sessions)?

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What are exactly bootstrap processes, auxiliary processes, standalone backends, normal backends(user sessions)?
Date: 2021-09-07 00:49:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Sep 06, 2021 at 09:18:13PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2021-Aug-14, Justin Pryzby wrote:
>
> > I elaborated on your definition and added here.
> > https://commitfest.postgresql.org/34/3285/
>
> Thanks! This works for me. After looking at it, it seemed to me that
> listing the autovacuum launcher is perfectly adapted, so we might as
> well do it; and add verbiage about it to the autovacuum entry. (I was
> first adding a whole new glossary entry for it, but it seemed overkill.)
>
> I also ended up adding an entry for WAL sender -- seems to round things
> nicely.

Sure.

Maybe change "Stats collector" to say that it *receives* stats (not collects
them). And maybe say "(if enabled)" or (unless disabled).

> PS: I almost want to add a note to the startup process entry, something
> like "(The name is historical: it refers to its task before the
> introduction of replication, when it was only related to the server
> starting up after a crash.)"

I'd say "(The name is historical: the startup process was named before
replication was implemented; the name refers to its task as it relates to the
server startup following a crash.)"

> PPS: Do we want the list to be in alphabetical order, or some other
> order?

I copied them out of the header file - but that may not matter nor make sense
to someone reading the glossary.

Cheers
--
Justin