Re: Correct handling of blank/commented lines in PSQL interactive-mode history

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Correct handling of blank/commented lines in PSQL interactive-mode history
Date: 2021-09-07 00:28:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021-Sep-06, Laurenz Albe wrote:

> I agree with Greg that the current behavior is annoying and would
> welcome the change. This has bothered me before.

It has bothered me too. I am particularly bothered by the uselessness
that M-# results in -- namely, inserting a # at the start of the buffer.
This is quite useless: in bash, the # starts a comment, so M-# makes the
entry a comment; but in psql it doesn't have that effect. If somebody
were to make M-# make the buffer a /* ... */ comment, it would become
quite handy.

--
Álvaro Herrera 39°49'30"S 73°17'W — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/