Re: Rename of triggers for partitioned tables

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Arne Roland <A(dot)Roland(at)index(dot)de>
Cc: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Rename of triggers for partitioned tables
Date: 2021-07-21 22:16:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

... now, thinking about how does pg_dump deal with this, I think this
thread is all wrong, or at least mostly wrong. We cannot have triggers
in partitions with different names from the triggers in the parents.
pg_dump would only dump the trigger in the parent and totally ignore the
ones in children if they have different names.

So we still need the recursion bits; but

1. if we detect that we're running in a trigger which has tgparentid
set, we have to raise an error,
2. if we are running on a trigger in a partitioned table, then ONLY must
not be specified.

--
Álvaro Herrera Valdivia, Chile — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Puedes vivir sólo una vez, pero si lo haces bien, una vez es suficiente"