Re: cleanup temporary files after crash

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Euler Taveira <euler(dot)taveira(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: cleanup temporary files after crash
Date: 2021-06-12 00:43:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 at 15:42, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> > One thing I'm not sure about is whether we should have the GUC as
> > proposed, or have a negative "keep_temp_files_after_restart" defaulting
> > to false. But I don't have a very good justification for the alternative
> > other than vague personal preference.

On Sat, Oct 31, 2020 at 09:01:15PM -0300, Euler Taveira wrote:
> I thought about not providing a GUC at all or provide it in the developer
> section. I've never heard someone saying that they use those temporary
> files to investigate an issue. Regarding a crash, all information is already
> available and temporary files don't provide extra details. This new GUC is just to keep the
> previous behavior. I'm fine without the GUC, though.

Should this GUC be classified as a developer option, and removed from
postgresql.sample.conf ?

That was discussed initially in October but not since.

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 11:16:26AM -0300, Euler Taveira wrote:
> It also has an undesirable behavior: you have to restart the service to
> reclaim the space.

BTW, that's not really true - you can remove the tempfiles while the server is
running. The complainant in bug#16427 was being careful - which is good.
I watch for and remove tempfiles older than 2 days. The worst consequence of
removing a tempfile would be a failed query.

--
Justin