Re: cleanup temporary files after crash

From: Euler Taveira <euler(dot)taveira(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cleanup temporary files after crash
Date: 2020-11-01 00:01:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 at 15:42, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
wrote:

> I did a quick review and the patch seems fine to me. Let's wait for a
> bit and see if there are any objections - if not, I'll get it committed
> in the next CF.

Tomas, thanks for your review.

> One thing I'm not sure about is whether we should have the GUC as
> proposed, or have a negative "keep_temp_files_after_restart" defaulting
> to false. But I don't have a very good justification for the alternative
> other than vague personal preference.

I thought about not providing a GUC at all or provide it in the developer
section. I've never heard someone saying that they use those temporary
files to
investigate an issue. Regarding a crash, all information is already
available
and temporary files don't provide extra details. This new GUC is just to
keep the
previous behavior. I'm fine without the GUC, though.

--
Euler Taveira http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/