Re: default_tablespace doc and partitioned rels

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: default_tablespace doc and partitioned rels
Date: 2021-04-29 15:39:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021-Apr-16, Justin Pryzby wrote:

> If this parameter is set when a partitioned table is created, the partitioned
> table's tablespace will be set to the given tablespace, and which will be the
> default tablespace for partitions create in the future, even if
> default_tablespace itself has since been changed.

Pushed with very similar wording:

+ <para>
+ If this parameter is set to a value other than the empty string
+ when a partitioned table is created, the partitioned table's
+ tablespace will be set to that value, which will be used as
+ the default tablespace for partitions created in the future,
+ even if <varname>default_tablespace</varname> has changed since then.
+ </para>

I made it a separate paragraph at the end, because I noticed that I had
added the note in an inappropriate place in the earlier commit; the
second paragraph in particular is more general than this one. Also
looking at that one I realized that we need to talk about the value
being "not the empty string".

I hope it's clear enough now, but if you or anybody have further
suggestion on improving this, I'm listening.

Thanks

--
Álvaro Herrera Valdivia, Chile
"If you have nothing to say, maybe you need just the right tool to help you